I could easily find a definition of Latin from any source online that was useful, suc as Britannica or onlinedictionary.com. Maybe even Wikipedia could give a just definition on what Latin is, but I dont know. For this blog, I wanted to uncover a more modern perspective on how people define Latin. In order to do this, I went to urbandictionary.com, a very liable source for just this.
Urbandictionary.com is a site that you can write a definition for any word that you can possily think of, and it will be rated by the viewers o the website with thumbs up and thumbs down. It is extremely biased, and generates random words that nobody will ever go to and which are not real words/terms, such as a "Skeletor" being defined as Jennifer Lopez's husband, Anthony. (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=skeletor)
When I looked up Latin on Urbandictionary, the best definitions chosen by viewers were not random, but made sence. A definition usd for Latin called Latin the starter of Romance Languages, and noted on it modern day that it is used in special Catholic Masses and pretty much nothing else. Other definitions define latin as a useless language to take in High school, not making you any better with word usage and understanding te english longuage later on in college. One user named Jackie defined latin as "a horrible language" (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?page=1&term=latin). But mostly all of the definitions for latin have been givel a large amount of thumbs down, so Ill take for word that Latin is a good language.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
And did you write a definition?
Post a Comment