So I have been having alot of trouble trying to find some new juicy info to put on my blog that has some correation with latin or at least my Latin class, but I have been pretty much sunk. I've tried to put "Latin" in google to find something, but nothing comes up. When I put in "Latin News" it comes up with links to Latin American news stations and such. From that, I have decided to do this blog post on why Latin America is called Latin America.
It seems odd that it would be called Latin America, being that there is no country in the vincinity that considers a language commonly used there to be Latin. In fact, when the European powers came to Latin America to do what they did, none of them spoke Latin to each other.
The real reason that Latin America is called Latin America is because all the countries that are in Latin America speak diferent sorts of Romance Languages. Brazilians speak Portuguse, Columbians speak Spanish, and so on. Latin America is mainly made up of Portuguese and Spanish speakers because they were the ones who colonized Latin America more than other countries. Romance languages obiously originate from Latin, so that is precisely why Latin America is called Latin America.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I always wondered about this.
wow that's pretty interesting because I always google "latin" and the search results are full of Latin American results and it gets pretty annoying
Post a Comment