Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Latin in Harry Potter


I found out in this article that J.K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter books, has used latin words as spell names. Here is a quote fom the article:

Younger students get a mouthful of Latin when they read the popular Harry Potter books. "Expelliarmus," a recurring spell that disarms an opponent, is Latin for "disarm."

Some people say that this is a good effort on her part to revive latin, but lets face it, latin is dead. This only goes to show that J.K. Rowling is not very original when she thinks of spell names.
I got the article from http://archives.cnn.com/2002/EDUCATION/10/14/schools.latin.ap/index.html

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting because I never even noticed that the words she chooses are actually derived from Latin in some way. I guess I will have to see next time I watch one!

brett said...

I never even liked Harry Potter,but this is pretty interesting.

LEGGOmyKELSEY said...

I LOVE HARRY POTTER. And I did a post on this, too